I've recently had several fantastic conversations about video games and education. Ed Prather and Dan Loranz planted an idea for a game in my head that's been stewing for a month and then I got to throw ideas around at FFPER with Joe Redish, Ruth Chabay, Elizabeth Gire and Ian Beatty.
At Ian's suggestion, I created this blog to start up a PER/video game community to get us to put down ideas and help each other flesh them out with the ultimate goal of collaboration on projects.
At Ian's suggestion, I created this blog to start up a PER/video game community to get us to put down ideas and help each other flesh them out with the ultimate goal of collaboration on projects.
Everyone I talked to was very excited about the untapped potential of video games in education. There are many aspects of video games that would appeal to us education researchers (e.g. student-centered learning, group work). In a well designed video game, players are taught the rules of the world and are confronted with increasingly complex problems to solve as they learn more of the game's rules.
This is a starting point for the various discussions need to have in order to figure out what kind of projects we are interested in developing in the future. We need to talk about the existing work on learning and gaming (such as work by James Paul Gee), how to incorporate what we've learned through Physics and Astronomy education research into games, and much more.
Here is how you contribute:
- Write your own post with your ideas on some other aspect of gaming & education.
- Comment and offer suggestions on the existing posts.
Sébastien
Great! Thanks for starting this.
ReplyDelete